Legacy App Migration – All you wanted to know
Today’s digital highway is immensely disruptive. To stay in the game, you should realign your priorities with evolving technologies and make committed efforts to transform whenever there is an opportunity. A good way to start is to migrate your legacy applications to allow technology to play for you. Read on!
Over the next few minutes, you will learn
- What is legacy app migration?
- Benefits of legacy app migration
- Challenges of legacy app migration
- How to migrate
What is Legacy App Migration?
A Software Application that is still using outdated or obsolete technologies are real challenge for any business, Legacy application migration is the process to migrate such applications to latest and future ready technologies. For example; you can migrate an in-premise enterprise server to a cloud environment.
For an organization that is habituated using a particular legacy system, it is very tough and time-consuming to migrate to an entirely new system. Moreover, with the lack of certainty of guaranteed positive outcomes, few want to explore new options. But they can’t remain unmoved too because legacy applications do not always serve the benefits of new IT technologies, they require more time, effort and money to manage. In order to transform in this disruptive time, enterprises therefore need to migrate strategically, steadily. We will discuss about this later.
First, here are few benefits application migration comes with –
The Benefits of legacy app migration
Enhanced Increased Multi-Platform Support
IT systems of the past were increasingly platform-dependent. Today’s users are pretty dynamic, smart, they are not limited to one and specific platform. Today’s technology helps us to transform our IT to multi-platform more quickly and cost-effective manner. You can quickly leverage on scalable apps that seamlessly work across platforms thereby offering increased agility, and independence.
Migration comes with portability benefits. An enterprise usually have many departments; each connecting with the other while desiring for unique processing needs. By migrating your applications in more advanced IT setup such as Cloud, Hybrid mobile App, Responsive Web, uses of IoT and AI, you make the system work across all departments while delivering maximum output in all conditions.
Increased processing capacity
The advent of cloud, BYOD, analytics and mobility solutions is drastically changing the IT landscape. Most of the time, the legacy applications need to be migrated to seamlessly work across new processes.
More natural benefits of migration
- Eliminate costly undertakings such as software licensing
- Reduce your software maintenance cost and resource dependencies
- Bring new functionalities become more quick and easy
- New technologies like IoT, AI to help you in effective business decisions
- Reduced hardware infrastructure costs and maintenance costs with the help of Cloud
- Modern systems provide room for more flexibility, integration, and scalability
So, migrating your legacy systems come with a series of unavailable benefits. Modern systems are dependable, stable and supportive, provide high performance and efficiency advantages over competitors.
Ready to migrate? Know These Challenges As well
Migration sounds so promising, but the entire process takes time, and has a number of limitations.
– Legacy users are not very comfortable venturing out of their comfort zone, and they need proper training and orientation to start using the modern system. User resistance can be overcome by gathering periodical feedback and introducing features slowly with scale.
Work flow issue
– is another challenge. If legacy migration is not supportive, and does not address the evolving priorities and demands of end-users, workflow suffers from a number of obstacles.
– usually have challenging relational structures. Restructuring the database and mapping a new data model is extremely important to carry out smooth migration
Your existing content management system vendor
– might not be at all happy that you are migrating to its competitor and may not be willing to provide enough insights about how your legacy system is setup.
Removing legacy systems means temporary downtime, leading lost revenue. Enough expertise and resources required to carry out the migration task.
These are some of the core challenges, but it does not mean that businesses should continue using legacy systems. In the age of digital transformation and evolving consumer choices, it is very important to migrate. Companies can take a ‘ iterative’ step which involves migrating a specific function and aligning stakeholders with it. As system familiarity grows, other functions can seamlessly migrated.
Once the decision to migrate is made, the biggest challenge companies find is to choose the best service provider.
How to choose your Cloud migration service partner?
- Identify the migration services you want
- Pinpoint the required technology platform and compare your budget against the cost of suggested solutions
- Make sure the partner has credible migration expertise
- Excellent customer satisfaction rating is another decider
Did you know?
CodePolicy leverages on its domain expertise, skills of certified engineers, and processes to help businesses of all shapes and sizes migrate to the future ready technologies seamlessly. We provide end-to-end legacy application migration and modernization services to make businesses future-ready. All of that at a great price! Click here to learn more